The Isle of May Bird Observatory officially turns the ripe old age of 85 this month. Scotland’s first observatory and the UK’s longest running!
Here is page one of the chatty log which begins on 28th September 1934 with the arrival of a party of 4; W B Alexander, R M Lockley, HFD Elder and EV Watson, great names of 20th Century ornithology!
Among early activity they started building a Heligoland trap.
Good birds were few by the looks of it but the “Cole” Tit on the 30th Sep would still be a good island bird today!
Lets hope the party to arrive today will be able to celebrate the observatory’s birthday with good arrival of migrants!